High-quality tires are important for any vehicle. When you consider the fact that your tires are all that stands between your vehicle and the road, you can see why it’s so important to spend some time searching for quality tires when you’re in the market for a new set.
Here are a few tire buying tips to help you purchase a new set of tires in Athens County, OH that will be ideal for your vehicle:
- Make sure you’re purchasing for need: Before you actually begin researching tire brands or styles, make sure new tires are actually what you need. A visual inspection should tell you all you need to know. Common signs that you need new tires include damage to the sidewalls, significant tread wear, bulging in the rubber or discoloration on the tires.
- Check the owner’s manual: Your owner’s manual may have some information or recommendations for specific size and type of tires to use on the vehicle. If you can’t find the owner’s manual, check your vehicle’s information placard. This is required by law to be in the vehicle and will be permanently affixed to the door post, door edge, glove compartment door or inside the trunk lid.
- Consider your wheels: Do you also have wheels that are worn down or damaged? If so, it might be a good idea for you to try purchasing a new set of wheels as well. Larger wheels mean lower aspect ratio tires, so it’s important to understand the relationship between wheels and tires and how your wheel choice will affect your available tire options. In addition, shorter sidewalls mean less flex when the car turns, which can be great for a sporty drive but less so in terms of shock absorption.
- Get a matching set: Rather than just replacing the tires that are worn, you should get a full set. Replacing only one tire at a time could result in uneven suspension, and will make it more difficult for you to maintain your tires appropriately. Replacing all four at once will even out the wear and prevent other problems with your vehicle. Yes, it’s going to cost you more money, but it will save you from additional repairs in the long run.
- Look for deals: There are always deals to be found when it comes to new tires. You can purchase by catalog direct from a manufacturer, or you can shop over the internet. Look for deals so you don’t always have to pay full price for a new set of tires.
- Check your spare: While you’re replacing your tires, take a look at your spare and make sure it’s in good condition. If necessary, you can replace it. If you’re using a full-size spare, you might be able to have the tire technician save the used tire that’s in the best shape for use as your spare.
Buying new tires? For more tips about how you can get the right tires for your vehicle when shopping in Athens County, OH, contact an experienced mechanic at Dana’s Tire Center today.
Categorised in: Tires
This post was written by Writer