If you’ve got problems with your steering wheel, there are a number of symptoms that may manifest while you’re out on the road. It’s important to get to the root of the issue, and that means paying some special attention to the sounds and feels of your vehicle, particularly at the steering column.
Here are a few examples of some of the most common issues that could indicate problems with the steering column. If you notice any of these issues appearing in your vehicle, it’s important you make an appointment with a trusted mechanic who can provide you with professional car repair in Athens County, OH:
- Vibrations: If you notice the steering wheel shaking or vibrating, then this could indicate problems with the steering wheel. Sometimes this will happen specifically while the vehicle is slowing down, which could mean you’re simply dealing with some worn-out brakes that need to have their pads replaced. However, if it occurs while you’re driving normally with your foot on the gas, then you should have your steering column checked out by a professional mechanic.
- Fluid leaks: The steering column features a type of sealed lubricant to prevent interior components from wearing out and to make sure the steering wheel operates as smoothly as possible. In some cases, seals that keep those fluids in place will wear out, which could result in fluids leaking underneath the vehicle. If you notice strange fluids having leaked from your vehicle after it’s been parked for a while, have your vehicle checked out by a mechanic.
- Misalignment: If the steering wheel seems to be misaligned, then you should get it inspected. You’ll notice this is a problem if you have issues with your vehicle trying to pull you to one side or the other. However, this could also be a result of uneven tire pressure or misaligned wheels, so make sure you investigate those possibilities before you commit to it being a problem with the steering column.
- Strange tire wear: Have you noticed your tires are wearing unevenly, creating strange patterns across the surface and treads? Tires should always wear evenly, and if you see excessive wear along the edges or the center of the tire, this could point to some potential steering column issues. However, this could also be caused by improper wheel alignment, suspension issues or improperly inflated tires, so make sure you check your tire pressure and alignment as well.
- Strange sounds: If you hear a screeching, crunching, grinding or knocking sound, this obviously isn’t good for your vehicle. These could all be indicative of steering column issues. Make sure you find and replace the faulty parts causing this problem as soon as you’re able to do so.
These are just a few examples of some of the most common problems that could arise with your steering column. All of these should be looked into by a trusted mechanic. For more information, or to schedule car repair in Athens County, OH, contact the team at Dana’s Tire Center today.
Categorised in: Auto Repair
This post was written by Writer