If you haven’t seen it in real life, you’ve probably seen it in a movie or TV show: a broken-down car on the side of the road with steam coming up from the hood. The driver may be standing at the front of his car staring at his engine while the passenger wonders what the heck is going on. This is a fairly old trope in popular media because it can be a fairly common occurrence if folks don’t take proper care of their car’s radiator and the rest of its cooling system.
The steam coming from the hood is caused by an overheated engine. Suffice it to say, you don’t want your engine to overheat when you’re driving down the road. The best way to ensure that doesn’t happen to you this summer is to bring your car in for a radiator flush in Athens County, OH. Continue reading to learn more about flushing your radiator and all of the benefits of doing so:
- The radiator: The radiator is part of your vehicle’s cooling system that holds water and a coolant (antifreeze). Together, these two liquids effectively prevent the engine and other parts of your vehicle from overheating and breaking. All vehicles have radiators in one form or another. After all, if they didn’t, every car would overheat after just traveling a few miles down the road!
- The flushing process: During a radiator flush in Athens County, OH, a professional mechanic will pour four to five gallons of new antifreeze through your radiator. The new antifreeze will force out all of the old coolant, which usually accumulates dirt and grime that can hinder your radiator’s performance. New antifreeze will ensure all of that build-up is gone for good, and that your radiator is operating at 100 percent efficiency.
Having an occasional radiator flush offers a variety of benefits to your vehicle. Here are three of the big ones:
- Removes contaminants: As mentioned above, the new coolant will force out all of the nasty junk and replace it with brand new antifreeze. New antifreeze on the market contains added anti-contaminants, which help prevent buildup for a while. However, these anti-contaminants can eventually break down and cause poor radiator performance. Flushing on a regular basis will ensure these anti-contaminants never end up being a problem.
- Protects your radiator: Going off the first benefit, the new anti-contaminants will protect your radiator from major problems like rust and corrosion. Replacing your antifreeze when it’s time to do so will ensure a properly functioning radiator. This will also mitigate the need for repairs or replacement.
- Lubricate the water pump: Proper lubrication is essential for most parts of your vehicle—the radiator included. Flushing your radiator keeps the water pump lubricated at all times, ensuring another long-lasting part.
Avoid all of the nasty problems that come along with improper radiator care by bringing your car in to Dana’s Tire Center for a radiator flush in Athens County, OH before the summer heat sets in. It’s an easy procedure that our professional mechanics can perform quickly, and get you on your way as soon as possible. Call today to schedule an appointment!
Categorised in: Radiator Repair
This post was written by Writer